Length: 60 minutes
Summary: Have you ever wondered if there was more to an ancestor’s home address or workplace address? Did you know that in the early 20th century many US cities reconfigured their “grid” resulting in new addresses? Do you know why certain streets simply seem to “disappear”? There’s more to street naming than you realize . . . learn how to drill-down to street information to improve your genealogy research.
Description: We’ll review the history of street naming and learn how to break down street address data. We’ll cover street grid changes for towns and cities as well as how to track “missing” streets. Learn how to use innovative online tools to visualize a specific street address and cover tips and tricks you need to know when working with street names and addresses.
Audience Level: Beginner.
Requirements: Projection for computer on large screen; internet connection.
Content: 4 pages.
- Beyond Landmarks: The History of Street Naming
- Breaking Down a Street Address
- City Grid Changes: What You Need to Know
- Disappeared Streets and Street Renaming
- Online Tools for Street Addresses Old and New
- Tips and Tricks for Working with Street Addresses
- Resource List
©2019, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.