Length: 60 minutes
Summary: Most genealogists aren’t taking full advantage of all the clues available in city directories. Learn how go beyond a mere “lookup” of your ancestor and their family. Understand how city directories were created, the secrets of various abbreviations, and how to use the F.A.N. Club approach to getting the most information possible.
Description: Participants will learn the history of city directories, how important they were to even the smallest town, and how to extract every possible clue for your genealogy research. We’ll cover digital/online directories, how to deal with numbering grid and street name changes, what those “weird codes” mean and more.
Audience Level: Beginner.
Requirements: Projection for computer on large screen; internet connection.
Content: 4 pages.
- The City Directory: More Than Meets The Eye
- The Basic Elements of a City Directory
- Abbreviations in City Directories
- Advertisements and Why They Matter
- Creating Timelines and Using the F.A.N. Club concept
- Tips and Tricks for Clue Gathering with City Directories
- Resource List
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.