Length: 60 minutes
Summary: While you may think you’ve hit a brick wall with your research, have you tried using cluster and collateral search strategies to look for an opening? Researching non-direct relations as well as those friends and neighbors in your ancestors’ network can pay off in ways you might not imagine.
Description: Learn why researching those in-laws, “shirt-tail cousins” and others who may not be a direct-line ancestor as well as “friends, neighbors and associates” can help you break down your genealogy research brick walls.
Audience Level: Beginner
Requirements: Projection for laptop/netbook computer on large screen; internet connection – wired or wireless (preferred in order to show live websites and resources).
Content: 6 page handout
- Your Ancestors Had a Network
- Collateral Searching – How to Make it Pay Off!
- Cluster Searching – It’s All In Who They Knew
- Resources for Cluster and Collateral Searching
- Piecing Together the Cluster and Collateral Evidence
©2012, copyright Thomas MacEntee