This blog is a personal blog written and edited by Thomas MacEntee. For questions about this blog, please contact me at hidefgen at gmail dot com.
This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own.
Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
The owner has received products, services, payments from the following:
- 23andMe: I have received a 23andMe Spit Kit, valued at $299, for evaluation purposes.
- Advertise With Bloggers: I have written guest blog posts for other blogs and websites for which I have been compensated financially; I have also produced targeted editorial content in the form of blog posts at GeneaBloggers using keywords and other supplied content for specific advertisers for which I have been compensated financially.
- Ancestry.com: In 2014, I received a complimentary version of Ancestry.com’s World Plus subscription; I am often asked to beta test new features before they are released. I have attended various blogger day events which have included compensation for travel and meal expenses; I have attended various events at genealogy conferences (by invitation) which included free meals and free copies of software as well as logo ware (promotion items with the Ancestry.com logo). I have received a complimentary AncestryDNA test for evaluation purposes.
- Archives.com: I occasionally provide Expert Series articles for Archives.com for which I am paid. In addition, I have received a free Archives.com membership.
- Backblaze: I am an affiliate for Backblaze and have also been given a free 1-year license of the Backblaze program to backup my computer and to review the service.
- Family History Expos: I have been named a Blogger of Honor by Family History Expos and/or have presented as a speaker for various events including the Arizona, Colorado, Midwest, California and Atlanta Family History Expos for 2010. This designation entitles me to complimentary registration, complimentary wi-fi access, complimentary banquet or event admission, as well as complimentary promotional gift items.
- Family Roots Publishing: I have attended the Salt Lake Christmas Tour for 2010, 2011, and 2012 as an instructor for which I have been compensated.
- Family Search: I have attended various events at genealogy conferences (by invitation) which included transportation, accommodations, meals and free logo ware (promotional items with the Family Search logo). In addition, I attended the Family Search Bloggers Day on October 21, 2010 and I was compensated for transportation, hotel accommodations and meals. And I have been designated a RootsTech Official Blogger for 2011, 2012, and 2013 which entitles me to free registration and other perks during the conference. I also worked as a consultant for the 1940 U.S. Census Community Project handling social media projects.
- F+W Media: I am engaged to teach webinars and participate in virtual conferences at Family Tree University for I have been compensated. I have written several articles for Family Tree Magazine for which I have been compensated; I was recently a member of the Family Tree 40 Panel which assisted in selecting the 40 Best Genealogy Blogs for Family Tree Magazine; and I use affiliate links to sell Family Tree Magazine-related products.
- FamilyChartMasters: FamilyChartMasters has sponsored the Mardi Gras beads for bloggers at SCGS Jamboree. I have periodically received chocolate bars and discount coupons from FamilyChartMasters, both of which I have used. Candy makes me happy.
- Federation of Genealogical Societies: I currently serves as a Director for the Federation of Genealogical Societies as well as its Marketing & Public Relations Chair and Interim Webmaster. In addition, I served as National Publicity Co-Chair for the FGS 2011 and FGS 2012 national conferences.
- findmypast.com: I received a complimentary 12 Month World Subscription in order to evaluate the new findmypast.com site available to US subscribers.
- FindTheData: I have been designated as an expert blogger at FindTheData for purposes of updating information on genealogy-related products and services.
- Flip-Pal™ Mobile Scanner: I am engaged as a consultant with Couragent, Inc., maker of the Flip-Pal™ Mobile Scanner. I have received a complimentary scanner for evaluation purposes and I use Flip-Pal affiliate links on this blog and other sites.
- Fold3: I use affiliate links and advertising for Fold3 (formerly Footnote) on this blog and other blogs and websites I own. I receive compensation for sales made through these links to Footnote.
- Genealogical Publishing Company: I use affiliate links and advertising for Genealogical Publishing Company on this blog and other blogs and websites I own. I receive complimentary copies of books and other items for review. I keep the items for personal use or I will often donate them to genealogical societies as door prizes.
- Genealogical Speakers Guild: I am a member of GSG, I am co-chair of the GSG Virtual Presentations Committee and I contribute regularly to their quarterly newsletter Speak!.
- GenealogyBank: I use affiliate links and advertising for GenealogyBank on this blog and other blogs and websites I own. I receive compensation for sales made through these links to GenealogyBank.
- Geni: I have received a complimentary Pro membership and conference swag (t-shirts, etc.) from Geni.com. In addition, I have contributed to a weekly podcast on various genealogy topics at the Geni.com blog for which I received no compensation.
- Houstory Publishing: I was provided with a complimentary Home History Book™, valued at $300, for review purposes. I’ve also been provided with registration stickers from The Heirloom Registry and participated in The Heirloom Registry Online Scavenger Hunt.
- Illinois State Genealogical Society: I am currently the webmaster and Publicity Chair for the Illinois State Genealogical Society.
- Legacy Family Tree: I have received complimentary copies of software and training materials. I also have produced several webinars for which I have been compensated via speakers fees and recording royalties. I have also performed social media consulting work for Millennia Corporation, owner of Legacy Family Tree. I have also been selected as a speaker on a Legacy Family Tree Cruise for which I was compensated. I produce and edit the series of Legacy QuickGuides™ for which I receive a royalty for each copy sold. I use affiliate links and advertising for Legacy Family Tree on this blog and other blogs and websites I own.
- Meet Meme: I received 40 free personal trading cards for use at future genealogy conferences.
- Millenniata, Inc.: I provide paid consulting services (marketing) to Millenniata related to their M-DISC™ product..
- Mocavo: I was provided a complimentary one-year Mocavo Plus subscription to give away in a contest of my choosing and design.
- ObitsArchive: I use affiliate links and advertising for ObitsArchive on this blog and other blogs and websites I own. I receive compensation for sales made through these links to ObitsArchive.
- Obit Magazine: I have been paid to write articles for Obit Magazine.
- pc/nametag: I have received a complimentary stack-a-ribbon® Fun Pack of ribbons to use at genealogy conferences.
- Pocket Tree: I received a complimentary copy of Pocket Tree which I reviewed at GeneaBloggers and I retained the item for my own personal use. I am also enrolled in the Pocket Tree Affiliate program and receive a commission for each sale made using links on my websites.
- ReelGenie: I provide consulting services (marketing) to ReelGenie for which I am paid.
- RootsMagic: I have received free copies of RootsMagic software on various occasions.
- Saving Memories Forever: I provide consulting services (marketing) to Saving Memories Forever for which I am paid. In addition, Saving Memories Forever is a paid advertiser at GeneaBloggers.com.
- Simon and Schuster: Upon my request, I received a complimentary review copy of Shaking the Family Tree by Buzzy Jackson. After the review, I offered the book as a prize in a contest at GeneaBloggers.
- uencounter.me: I was offered a Premium Subscription at uencounter.me for purposes of reviewing the site’s functions.
- Vintage Aerial: I received a complimentary 12 x 18 framed photo of my choice from Vintage Aerial valued at $349 for review purposes. After the review, I retained the product to hang in my home office. In addition, I have contributed blog posts to the Vintage Aerial blog.
- WikiTree: I provide product evaluation consulting services to WikiTree for which I am paid.
This blog does not contain content which, in my opinion, might present a conflict of interest.
©2013, copyright Thomas MacEntee